Every week I post a lot of my daily readings about Web, UI and UX Design, mobile design, webdesign tools and useful resources, inspiration on twitter and other social networks.
This week’s selection: scrolling attention and user experience, scrollbars & CSS, the history of scrolling and different implementation, swipe CSS snap points, good and bad designers, button design, fonts for numbers, creating a Chinese font, hiding secret messages into Helvetica, UX dark patterns, strange free stock photos, avocode PSD to Sketch converter tool and a repository with women who give conferences.
You can follow me on twitter to get a dose of links every days.
Things I wrote
My interview for Pixelpioneers is online: “Speaker spotlight: perceived performance with Stéphanie Walter” perceived performance, collaboration with devs, mobile tricks, forms with special characters, a speaker tool and how I got into the industry 😀
TL;DNR the one you should not miss
So far my favorite article of the week: “Stop calling these Dark Design Patterns or Dark UX — these are simply a**hole designs” yes yes and YES
#UX and #UI
- Scrolling and Attention, People scroll vertically more than they used to, but new eyetracking data shows that they will still look more above the page fold than below it.
- 7 Basic Rules for Button Design – Interesting article but wtf is this “sign to my newsletter” pop up on mobile when you almost finished reading it that bring you back to the top of the article???
- Back to the “Buttons shouldn’t have a hand cursor” debate, part 2 with some interacting arguments. What do you think? Anybody did some user research on the topic?
- Good Designer, Bad Designer behavior but you can replace designer by marketer or developer I guess it still works ^^
- The long, incredibly tortuous, and fascinating process of creating a Chinese font, a really interesting article
- To stay on the typography topic: “Finding the Best Free Fonts for Numbers“
- An innocent piece of text can now hold secret messages, awww, now you can play secret agent with Helvetica 😀
- “Scrollbars & CSS Custom Properties“, interesting use of CSS variables
- You need to bookmark this: “Scroll to the future, – Everything you always wanted to know about implementing scrolling but were afraid to ask”
- Snap it snap it 🙂 “Swipe Views with CSS Snap Points: Building a More Efficient Mobile Web Navigation“
- “How browsers position floats“, a quick reminder
Great tips to help you build slides. I would add “back them up on a USB stick, those cloud drives might fail big time” (happened to me twice already)
Front-end and aspiring front-ens friends and students, here’s an ebook you might like: Front-End Developer Handbook 2018
Useful resources, tools and plugins that will make your life easy
A cool service if you don’t want to give your email address because you know they will spam you hostux.ninja
Artificial Intelligence and other free photos. You have to admit, those are fun in a creepy “I love dummies” kind of way
womentalkdesign.com, discover brilliant talks by diverse speakers, and invite them to your next event.
Avocode provides an online tool to convert PSD to Sketch files. Note that the smart objects are converted into rasterized images, same for linked smart objects. You can upload the linked smart objects one by one and recompose the file but it’s a little bit tedious I admit.